Thursday, March 3, 2016

An Important Date

My dad was in the Navy for over 23 years- all of my growing up years  We were taught to care about others and to appreciate our country.  After becoming an adult and moving out on my own, I realized the importance of these family values:  with all its faults, our country still provides the best opportunities for everyone.  We will never be perfect- nothing ever is.

Along with this lesson, comes an obligation to vote.  My father (and now me) thought of voting as an important right- a right that none of us should give up.  All my life, I have heard people complain about the government, the schools, the politicians, laws that we need to follow, and so many other things.  Some of these same people have told me that they "never vote".  Their reasons are usually the same: "My vote won't matter"; "It wouldn't make a difference anyway"; and "It's only one vote".

Last year one of our School Board members won by one vote.  Who knows what changes or differences in our district have occurred this past year due to one vote? This year we have several important warrant articles and openings on both Town and School Boards.  Your one vote is important.  Don't give up this right- let your vote speak to these decisions.  Your opinion is important and shapes the way our schools, town, and government improve and go forward.  Voting will take place next Tuesday, March 8 from 7:00 AM - 7:00 PM at the middle school.