Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Spring Resolutions

Unlike many people, I make my resolutions in the spring instead of at New Year's.  I used to do them in January, but it's such a busy month (keeping the wood stove going, making big pots of soup, visiting people I didn't see over the holidays) so I always forgot.  I am just as bad at keeping them as those who make their resolutions in January, but I try.  This year's resolutions are for such things as:  cleaning out the  "junk" closet, strip the wallpaper and paint the living room (this has been on my list for 3 years), ride my bicycle more, read for fun, garden, and make 5 quilts for Christmas gifts.

Spring to me is more about renewal than January and I have a lot of fun figuring out how I will get everything done because I am a list-maker.  Many, many to-do lists are made before my "final" one. My lists are arranged by priority with a number assigned to each resolution or task and the numbers (and, sometimes, lists) change regularly!  If it's sunny out, I won't be cleaning a closet, if the temperature is hovering around 90, I won't be riding my bike or painting.  And then there are the days when the beach is the best place to be with some of the kids, or my granddaughter wants me to help her make a skirt, or there's an impromptu barbecue at my son's house, or my grandson's baseball team is playing.  Yes, spring is busy, too!

The key to making resolutions is the ability to make plans (or lists) but also to be flexible.  To be organized, but also realistic (it's raining or too hot).  And to always put family first.