Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Best Day of My Life

This is the title of my (current) favorite song: "Best Day of My Life" and when I hear it, I am reminded of some of my best, happiest days.  Of course, we all have those horrible days when nothing goes well or when we have to deal with bad news.  In spite of those bad days, I have many "best days" for which to be thankful. As we go into a new year, I want to share just a few of my "best days of my life" with you.  Most of my these happy days revolve around family but I have lots of best days at school, too.

Best Day of My Life:  when my son Nick came home from Iraq after 3 tours of duty; when my son Nathan (on his 3rd tour) came home from Afghanistan; a phone call from any of my sons; our newborn grandson coming home from the hospital after a month-long stay; finding a great bike trail and spending the day riding with my husband; family coming to visit from out of town; when my 15 year old granddaughter hugs me- and doesn't think she's too cool for hugs; playing basketball in the driveway with my grandkids; when my oldest son, Chris, became a teacher; having a good laugh; planning and sewing a quilt; helping a first grader learn a new word; monopoly games that last for days; working in my garden; listening to a child learning to play an instrument; sharing a meal with friends; playing a number game with an elementary student; going to the beach any time of year; receiving a "thank you" from a former student; watching kids play soccer or basketball; geocaching; watching a master teacher really connecting with and reaching a student; remembering all the card games I played with my dad while he repeated stories I'd heard many times before; going to a friend's long, long awaited wedding; taking part in any science class; reading a good book long into the night; being proud that my three sons have become caring, compassionate adults; having my cat jump up on my lap to take a nap; looking at old family photos with my mom; talking with teachers; watching kids cheer for each others' successes; and so much more.

For this New Year, my hope is that 2016 and all the years going forward bring you "best days" of your life to enjoy and remember with family, friends and loved ones.  Responsibilities and work often get in the way of what we need to make time for:  holding our families close and being grateful for all the wonderful experiences we share with each other.

Have a wonderful, happy, New Year!