Friday, December 11, 2015

Just what does a Superintendent of Schools do?

I don't know what keeps other Superintendents up at night, but I do know the things are always on my mind- and, I suspect, most school superintendents have the same worries and concerns.  Of course, every one of us have things we worry about in our daily lives- whether it be our kids, a family member's health, money, the need for a new car and so many other things!  Please don't think I am minimizing these real concerns faced by our families on a day to day basis. I am writing this because of a question I always hear (even from my own family!),  "Just what does a Superintendent do?"

So, in no particular order (except for the first item!), here's a list of some of the things I might handle on a daily basis, some of which also keep me up at night:
  • Student and staff safety
  •  Assuring a high quality education for students
  • Our homeless families
  • Students without warm clothing or food
  • Weather issues (snow, ice, floods!)
  • Building maintenance
  • Finances and unexpected expenses
  • Maintaining a culture of respect and acceptance at all three schools
  • Providing students with skills applicable to a successful future
  • Assessment results
  • Maintaining communication with all stakeholders
  • Keeping our quality teachers 
  • Staff morale
  • Student morale
  • Improving reading scores 
  • Scheduling issues
  • Student use of drugs and alcohol
  • Transportation routes and issues
  • Legal issues
  • Professional Development opportunities for staff
  • Injuries to staff or students
  • Contract negotiations
  • Insurance
  • Teacher certification
  • Parent concerns
  • Working with the town and other agencies
  • Analyzing data
  • Union matters
  • Student progress towards graduation
  • Bullying complaints
  • Keeping track of all the federal and state education requirements and laws
  • Writing competencies
  • Report Cards
  • Substitutes
  • Hiring
  • Finding creative ways to preserve all the wonderful things that make our schools special
  • Discipline issues
  • Students with special needs 
  • Portables at the elementary school
  • Supplies for our teachers and students
  • Internet use by staff and students
  • Evaluations
  • Teacher concerns
OK, that's enough. This is a full time job and, like any job, there's no one definitive list of what needs to be done.   Please don't take this as a list of complaints- I love my job!  Everyday is another opportunity to solve a puzzle or problem- it's in my nature (and my science background, I think) to create solutions and make things "right" for our students, staff, and district.  That is why I enjoy being your superintendent so much.  I hope I have at least partially answered the question:  Just what does a Superintendent do!