Friday, February 10, 2017

The Other Side of the World


While we were dealing with ice and snow this week, my son sent me this picture of his view as he and his wife drink their morning coffee.  Of course, I sent a picture right back of my view- plows, shoveling, and everything covered in white.  We follow his tiny sailboat using a GPS tracker he has on  it and have watched their journey from New Hampshire to the warm waters of the Caribbean.
We have learned a lot about the 700 islands that make up the Bahama Islands.  Some are uninhabited and they just stop to see the iguanas and go snorkeling, others have a small airport and residents who sell home-baked breads and fresh eggs.  This trip is validation that learning can take place anywhere and in many different ways- it has been an adventure and a learning experience for our entire family! 

I had a few moments of jealousy, but then remembered that I have a great view, too- I get to see our students (and my grandchildren) learning; playing basketball; jumping in the freezing ocean; playing in concerts; winning soccer games; excited about Spirit Week; doing science labs; over the moon about a college acceptance; getting their driver's license; and so much more!  Although I miss the sun and warmth of summer (especially when everything is covered in ice and snow), I like my world just as it is.